Landlord Insurance

A teal door with a welcome sign of a nice home in The Woods at Summerford, Chesterfield, VA


Full Name: Landlord Insurance

If you're a landlord or insuring any property that isn't your primary residence, a Dwelling Fire policy may protect you from financial loss if you have rental properties or tenants. Whether you make a living renting multiple properties or you're an "accidental landlord," renting the home you just moved out of and can't sell, a Dwelling Fire policy is important insurance for landlords to carry because standard homeowners policies don't usually cover homes being rented out.

Videos for Landlord Insurance

  • Categories: Personal
  • Also Known As : Dwelling Fire, DP1, DP2, DP3
  • Landlord insurance protects the home or structure you rent and provides personal liability coverage. Liability coverage pays for lawsuits against you or things that are your fault. For example, liability coverage protects you if your tenant sues you because they had a slip and fall accident on the stairs because the handrail was broken. Like homeowners insurance, landlord insurance will protect your property against fire damage, storm damage, lightning, wind, hail, etc. It will also cover you when dealing with tenants.

    Most insurers will protect the landlord against loss of rent in the event of a covered loss. For example: A tree falls on the house, your tenants can't stay there, and don't pay rent. But, you won't have coverage if your tenant can't pay the rent because of a job loss or financial problem.